2006 Alabanza User Conference

General public discussion.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

jblodgett
Propeller head licensee

2006 Alabanza User Conference

Post by jblodgett » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:53 pm

I got the email today about the User Conference... Can anyone tell me about this event?

What has happened in the past events?
What did you learn at the event and how has it impacted your business?

In the break out sessions what type of hands on do you get that was of value to you?

Also what other events have gone in the past that aren't neccessarly "official" (i.e. anyone up for an Orioles game?)

Finally can some one fill me in on the cost? I noticed on an email there is a $50.00 cancellation fee but I didn't see any other cost. Not on the email or application and how many people are we allowed to bring?
Joel Blodgett
BlodgetTech

datazen
Hosting Superstar

Post by datazen » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:39 pm

We all got drunk and stumbled over ourselves while Thomas was yanking wires out of the back of everyone's server but his :)

Nahh, it's a great time. You'll meet a lot of really good people and also get to know the people behind Alabanza. It's really a one of a kind event where competitors actually get together in the same room and discuss hosting ot whatever. It's well worth the trip. :wink:
Michael
http://www.webdomains4u.com
<i>Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.</i>

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:58 am

The conference is paid for by Alabanza but it does cost them money and if you cancel they want to extract $50 which I'm sure is actually less than what it costs them.

There are "Official Alabanza Sanctioned Events" and then there are usually some "Unnofficial Alahosts'" events. The latter usually happen at night after they release us into the wild and involve some kind of social event.

I recommend you arrive on Wednesday because Alahosts will be gathing for a late dinner together to meet and greet each other. And then go home on Saturday because Friday is definately going to be a traditional event where we "extend" the conference into the streets of Baltimore (I can't give full details but it has always turned out to be a lot of fun).

You're guaranteed to meet a lot of the people in management and support, not to mention your AM, you get to lay hands on your server and take pictures of it, and you will surely learn a LOT. Not to mention all the fun.

jblodgett
Propeller head licensee

Post by jblodgett » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:14 pm

Arf wrote:There are "Official Alabanza Sanctioned Events" and then there are usually some "Unnofficial Alahosts'" events. The latter usually happen at night after they release us into the wild and involve some kind of social event.

I don't drink so some "wild" social activites aren't exactly my thing usually.
I use to live in Baltimore back in my single digits and preteen years. Nothing speaks more to my childhood like going to an Oriorles game. Granted it's not Memorial Stadium (BTW: Very sad what has happen to that place) But It is still something I have to do.

In the process of searching tickets I discovered that the Orioles have a fundraising program that allows a percentage of each sale of group tickets to go to a nonprofit charity. So, I would like to try to setup a group event to see a game. Based on what I'm hearing from you I assume the 22nd will not work, so probably Saturday the 23rd.

The organization I'd like to raise money for is the Cystic Fibrosis foundation based out of Bethesda, Md.
Cystic Fibrosis is a disease that causes the body to produce a abnormally thick, sticky mucus that clogs the lungs and can result in a fatal lung infections. It is the second most common genetic disorder effecting approximately 30,000 people in the United States. The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation get no federal funding but yet has managed to make great strides in research to finding a cure. To give you an idea of the impact this organization has made, 20 years ago this was considered a childhood illness because patients didn't live past the age of 8. Currently thanks in large part to their research, the average life span for a child diagnosed today is in the 30's.

This is a cause that my wife and I are heavily involved in and try to help whenever possible. To find out more about Cystic Fibrosis please visit www.cff.org.

I have sent an email to my AM asking if this can be a sponsered event. If not it is still something that we could all do. Just 40 tickets purchased by our group would get them a $200.00 donation. I already plan to purchase 2. Another perk of doing their group fundraising event is they give you 2 free tickets to a future game. I had considered giving those to the CF Foundation but if it might encourage more people to buy tickets we could raffle those off.

Some of you might already have plans to attend a game anyway this would be a great way to do it.

I have not contact the Orioles yet to get all of the details on the fundraising program, but I will do that shortly. I first wanted to get an idea of how many people might be interested and how many tickets that might be?
Joel Blodgett
BlodgetTech

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:49 pm

jblodgett wrote: I don't drink so some "wild" social activites aren't exactly my thing usually.

Um, no. I didn't say we went out drinking. Some do and that's fine. I'm a pretty conservative person and am usually in bed by 9:30PM. The only exception I make on the trip is staying up late. My character stays the same even when I'm traveling. When I refer to wild, I mean very fun. Nothing our mom's would not approve of. In fact, BBear's mom has come on the last two trips and has had a great time.

mbodamer
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by mbodamer » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:04 pm

Just an FYI, Ala sponsored a game as a group event last year so I don't thin they would jump on that this year... you still might be able to get a group to go however.
Mike

BBear
Hosting Superstar

Post by BBear » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:10 pm

Yes, my Mom came along the last 2 years, and she had fun! No, we didn't do anything that a 78 year old would be doing, but we didn't get in any trouble either. We just got a little silly, a little crazy, laughed a whole lot and enjoyed :) It was certainly an adventure!

Note, Mom still has a lot of spunk left but due to Dad's heart (he just had surgery a few weeks back) and Mom's hip issues I don't think she's coming this year though time will tell. She really wants to go.

Bbear

jblodgett
Propeller head licensee

Post by jblodgett » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:02 pm

mbodamer wrote:Just an FYI, Ala sponsored a game as a group event last year so I don't thin they would jump on that this year... you still might be able to get a group to go however.

This is the first reply on my suggestion of a game. I have also not heard by from my AM. Regardless of if Ala sponsers a game event or not how many people would be interested in catching an event on Saturday night?

Also I'd like to know what ballpark for the ticket price would everyone be comfortable with as well as how many tickets you might want?
Joel Blodgett
BlodgetTech

ajai
Propeller head licensee

Post by ajai » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:09 pm

Hello there

I'd love to go to the User conferece but it is quite far from Madrid. It will be a nice idea if Alabanza could make a international user conference in Europe or at least to create a web conferece for this event

I would like to know if anyone of you would be interested in reading a letter to Alabanza to express some of our concerns as long time clients of Alabanza

As we cannot talk and discusss, we do not have any other opportunity to share our views

Is there anyone willing to express some of our concerns ?

If so, please reply

thanks

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:56 pm

ajai,
I'd love to hear your views but I'm afraid that they wouldn't be appropriate in the public forums. And the fact that I'm catching my plain to Baltimore in about an hour. In the private area we've held long threads where folks who could not attend expressed themselves. I'm afraid that this is only open to members (see the alahosts.com home page on membership info).

Please feel free to PM me with anything you wish to say and I'll try to bring it up where appropriate.

Several hosts have traveled a long way to the conference. Last year I roomed with a host from Australia. I do wish you could attend.

sixpackmx
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by sixpackmx » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:25 pm

Last year, I was part of the "intenational comitee". We had people from Australia, Switzerland, Guatemala, Canada and Mexico, and I can tell you it's a great experience.

I was planning attending this year, however I had an emergency with my third molar and had to stay here.

:-(