Official Test Penquin

Post by Okidoki » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:50 am

Is really, is is a fiasco everything that they make. Down .. up.. down .. up

They are inapt ones, there is not nobody there that is a professional
Okidoki

Conquest Hosting
Nothing better to do.

Post by Conquest Hosting » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:50 am

don't know what's happening, but this time twice in a row just resolved...took a while - and we can now get to our DSM - YEAH!! Sites still aren't coming up, but they are trying differently as they are taking MUCH longer to fail now - okay, either that or I'm REALLY tired and it just seems like they're taking longer to fail!

newcanada
Hosting Superstar

Post by newcanada » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:07 am

*speechless*

Conquest Hosting
Nothing better to do.

Post by Conquest Hosting » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:13 am

newcanada - is your dsm up?

gdtrfb
Propeller head licensee

Post by gdtrfb » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:16 am

my dsm is down again.

I feel like I'm at the point most other hosts were at about 12 hours ago.

still nothing on actually accessing the box itself.

no pings, no traces, just errors.

I'm too wiped to stay awake.
This sig made with 100% recycled electrons.

Conquest Hosting
Nothing better to do.

Post by Conquest Hosting » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:19 am

do you guys know about this latest bridge call at 1am EST? we're calling in now - it's in another area of the forum, just found it a few minutes ago.

newcanada
Hosting Superstar

Post by newcanada » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:20 am

Yes.. after 74 hours.. yes, it is.

I have three servers... host2 came up first, but nothing was on it, so that was rather easy... host3 just came up 10 min. ago, but again, only 40 clients there.. host1 (400 clients) has not shown up.. yet.

gdtrfb
Propeller head licensee

Post by gdtrfb » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:58 am

well, I'm certainly glad I stayed awake long enough for that extra-productive bridge call!

At least we know they're still there and still working...of course they are, they want this whole thing resolved just as much as we do. The only problem is they're doing an absolutely terrible job of communicating everything with us.

That's why everyone was so happy with Rob, at least you got the feeling someone was there to tell us what was going on.

Ugh.

One of my customers was quite upset today because Kyle Petty couldn't send him any email. Apparently he and Kyle are new friends. And now because of the timing of this fiasco, his new BFF can't send him any email and he's pissed!
This sig made with 100% recycled electrons.

cactusmall
Professional Chicken Dancer

Post by cactusmall » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:25 am

All (I think) my domains were up when I got up this morning but I don't think they had long been active.

DSM was the only thing I found was timing out but the traceroute trick worked - thanks very much guys - most useful
The Cactus and Succulent Plant Mall
http://www.cactus-mall.com

cactusmall

Post by cactusmall » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:43 am

AGHHH!!

I think its all gone again. NO FTP, No mail, No websites

m2
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by m2 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:55 am

I'm down hard too. No IPs, no DSM and alertra confirms from multiple locations.

cactusmall

Post by cactusmall » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:00 am

Looks like they have screwed up the routing tables again.

Traceroutes work but end up in the wrong place.

BR10
Propeller head licensee

Post by BR10 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:14 pm

Please pinch me and tell me I'm still asleep and my server is actually up and that this is a nightmare.

I thought for sure I could enjoy a cup of coffee this morning knowing everything was semi-back to normal.

Instead there's nothing.

Geeeezzzzz.

Gary

As after thought after 4 days I guess this is normal.....

steve-at-swift
Propeller head licensee

Is it too strong to say - I Hate Them for this?

Post by steve-at-swift » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:17 pm

On Friday, I had all my own hair Jet Black hair, today I have bold patches amongst the large grey areas and I smell through lack of washing and I'm tired out and its their fault. Lets not get soft...they did this to us all. It's not something we did, it was them. Just because your sites come back on NEVER forget this.

I just finished migrating away to another provider 24 sites in teh last 24 hours. That has not been without incident but at least I am controlling everything. Who the hell is steering their ship?

I hate them all scored on this basis

Planning for the move - 9/10 (they talked the talk)
Planning for feedback during the move 10/10 (they built my confidence)

Execution of the move - 5/10 (it's on, it's off, it's on, it's....GONE)

Feedback during the move 1/10 (they lost all my trust down the drain with a shocking display of customer service)

VERY soon I willbe one EX Alabanza/Navisite customer. Every customer like me they lose raises the COA of the purchase and in the long term will affect the share price.

Steve
Don't be afraid to aim too high and fail
Be afraid you aim too low and succeed!

Okidoki
Official Test Penquin

Post by Okidoki » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:56 pm

I don't have more words in my dictionary to describe the biggest fiasco in internet.

I hope that Navisite, be outside of the NASQA, poor saver that they buy actions of a company how this.

And YES I am furious.. I am not able to more with so much irresponsibility :evil: :evil: :evil:
Okidoki

steve-at-swift
Propeller head licensee

Run - Run as fast as you can

Post by steve-at-swift » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:59 pm

So,

Here I am in the UK, this mess is on day 5 for me and ALL my sites are down again. The DSM is down as well, The Alabanza support desk is down, emails to nocmonitor get ignored, I called the support number and have been listening to Indian music for 11 minutes now... I may as well give in and call the administrators in... I REALLY feel like crying. I'm sitting here watching the business and my reputation that I built up over 10 years going down the drain.

I dont have time to post here but I will keep doing so in the hope that maybe somebody at Naviste is watching this board (I doubt it though as I guess they are all fast asleep by now)

As soon as your sites are up move hosts as salvage what you can of your business.

Steve

earthplaza

Same here Steve

Post by earthplaza » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:11 pm

I am going through the same thing now, and duplicated all the requests for assistance, but after an hour of listening to the crappy music my line was just disconnected.

Not only that, but an emergency request I posted at help.alabanza.com at around 4am US Eastern time mysteriously disappeared at around 7am. And as of this writing I cannot login to help.alabanza.com to see if my latest request for emergency assistance is still there...or if it has gone "poof" once again.

Needless to say, I am not a happy camper either.

worldfireweb
Nothing better to do.

Back Down...

Post by worldfireweb » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:17 pm

This is really becoming a stunning circumstance. What did they think would happen with 170k domains being moved to their network?

This is really starting to hurt a large number of folks that are out there and it's getting simply amazing to me.

I'm still updating all status announcements from Navisite at http://worldfireweb.wordpress.com. This was started to keep track of every announcement coming out from Navisite as well as news articles that are popping up across the web about this situation.
Wes Linda
WorldFire Business Marketing & Services
Web: www.worldfire.com
AIM: worldfireweb

BR10
Propeller head licensee

New update at Navisite site

Post by BR10 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:17 pm

BR10
Propeller head licensee

A few sites resolving

Post by BR10 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:20 pm

For the first time since Friday evening I actually have several sites that are coming up by domain name as I type this.

Gary

earthplaza

The old Alabanza page at help.alabanza.com is now back up

Post by earthplaza » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:21 pm

...not that it has done much good in recent days. :roll:

AJ
Nothing better to do.

Post by AJ » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:27 pm

For the clients whose domain names I manage through Enom I'm about to start changing their DNS over to Enom and turn on POP Email packs. Anybody see this being an issue once our servers are back online? When I switch the DNS back there may be some propagation time, but not 4 days worth. Maybe I'll just use Enom hosting too and upload the sites that I have local copies of.

steve-at-swift
Propeller head licensee

So - You didn't think you might get loading issues?

Post by steve-at-swift » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:29 pm

Jeeees

You couldn't make this up!!!!

As we were bringing more and more hosts on last night, we were creating a significant number of ARP requests on the network. The number of ARP requests is primarily due to the fact that we were still resolving name servers issues in part of the environment. The number of ARP requests ultimately overloaded the network which is why you were seeing instability.

In the UK we have a saying "No S**t Sherlock"

You bring online ALL Alabanza servers and the ARP requests went up and overloaded the network. I guess there were frightened to ride the storm in case it started to affect the existing Navisite sites :evil:

Wonder if anyone thought to get a calculator out before the move?

X new servers multiplied by size of pipework, taps and gizmos, Triple the number you first thought of, now double it for safe measure. OK, now we have a BIG number...

Is everything big enough?

A = NO

OK lets just do it then as its only the Alabanza people the shareholders wont notice.

steve-at-swift
Propeller head licensee

AJ - Re your idea

Post by steve-at-swift » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi AJ,

For me I think you have left it too late. You will cause yourself a lot of hassle unless you have very few clients? Its not going to be as simple as switching that and the clients wont notice, they will notice and will most likely need settings changes. If you make the jump then you will have to jump again somewhere in a few days.

Either do what I am doing and commit to migrate the customers away or stick with it. Even though I have little confidence left, in reality they MUST be getting close. In truth this must be killing them as well as us.

IF ONLY they had sent me a REAL email with REAL content keeping me informed every hour I would have had sympathy with them

Steve

BR10
Propeller head licensee

Post by BR10 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:42 pm

That's true Earthplaza. I'm just glad to actually see some of my client's sites and know they are still there...

I actually have sites and a DSM and email again, this is almost normal, just don't want to get my hopes up.

I hope all of you are seeing some things starting to resolve now as well?

Gary

worldfireweb
Nothing better to do.

We had lots of sites up...

Post by worldfireweb » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:48 pm

We had most of our client sites up, obviously until this AM, and thankfully they rolled back the changes efficiently.

Now we only have a couple of domain issues, and they are all close in IP range. We can only pray this will be fixed soon.

I'm actually thinking of staying and trying to get them to pay for their mistakes. Who knows how that will really go, but we'll only have to see.

I wonder if we'll be able to negotiate new contracts with uptime guarantees and performance bases.
Wes Linda
WorldFire Business Marketing & Services
Web: www.worldfire.com
AIM: worldfireweb

AJ
Nothing better to do.

Post by AJ » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:33 pm

Thanks Steve. I've only got about 75 clients so this is theoretically managable for me to do today. I'm actually setting up one Enom pop mail account for a customer right now. I told him we'd have to change some settings in Outlook and then there would be a delay going back when things came back online and he's ok with that. He'll do anything to have email today.

Too bad my phones and internet are up and down now too so I'm working off my laptop and a Sprint connection card. I'm sure the Sprint network will crash next. :(

BR10
Propeller head licensee

Nameserver question

Post by BR10 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:43 pm

I too only have about 50 sites currently to move if I decided to do so.

May I ask a real basic and probably stupid question please?

I set my nameservers up in 1999, yeah I been with Alabanza that long and what do I do if I move, about my nameservers?

Would I move them to the new host box if I switch? Or is there somewhere I go to just change the IPs?

Can I move them somewhere that is not host dependent so I could make changes when I got ready in the event I had to move again.

I'm sure this is basic stuff for you guys, but I haven't had to deal with any of this for 8 years so I'm real green here and admit it.

Thanks for any info on this.

Gary

PS: All is still up and running currently. Hopefully they have worked through most of the problems.

jtmneal07
Propeller head licensee

Post by jtmneal07 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:51 pm

You wold first setup your accounts on the new server. The new host should assign you new IP numbers for your nameservers. You would then setup your accounts and upload your files on the new server. Then to modify the IP's on the nameservers you would have to contact the registrar that registered your name. The process to change the IP's is different with every registrar. But they are the ones that have to make the change. Sometimes it is listed under host summary at the registrar.

Conquest Hosting
Nothing better to do.

Post by Conquest Hosting » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:52 pm

Gary - we were looking at changing just our name servers so we wouldn't need to change all of our clients records. I know it can be done, and I think it's through network solutions but not sure. I'm sure someone on here can give you a more solid recommendation.

Helper (Lynda :) )

BR10
Propeller head licensee

Nameserver question

Post by BR10 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:04 pm

Thanks for the info from both of you.

Hey there helper! (I did get SSH enabled now and connected, but kind of after the fact) :-)

I registered the NS originally with Bulkregister I think, which is of course now eNom which I'm sure most here know about Bulkregister too if they are with Ala. :-)

But it is possible I might have used NWS. That was a long time ago.

Thanks again I really appreciate the help;

Gary

steve-at-swift
Propeller head licensee

Nameservers

Post by steve-at-swift » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:04 pm

IF you have all your clients using the same nameserver then you either have to move them all at the same time. i.e set up new hosting and then switch the NS's from Alabanza box to teh new one. Or you can do what I have been doing if you have access to your clients domains (enom for example) I am following this process in batches of 5 sites at a time

I set up new hosting on new server which has its own NS's
I copy the site from Alabanza to the new server
I set up email, where possible using all the info I have on hand
I test everything
I then speak to the client and ask if they use webmail. If they do then I warn them that needs dealing with as its easier to lose it and start again.
I wait till the end of day and switch the customers domain to the new server NS's, Propogation these days is really quick.
I leave Alabanza site in place but will delete tham after 14 days or so.

25 done so far:-)

BR10
Propeller head licensee

Nameserver question

Post by BR10 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:21 pm

Thanks Steve.

I do have access to all but about 5 of them.

Only one of them I'm not sure they even have access to the record at this point. They bought out a business and the owner never transferred the info to the new owner and it doesn't expire till 09. Hopefully though they can work through that if I make a move. They have a bill of sale, etc. they could prove to the registrar of the buyout.

Thanks for the steps.

Gary

terrikern
Alahosts.com-Newbie

Post by terrikern » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:21 pm

I was thrilled when my sites came back up around 12:45 am... Still up at 2:30 am. No DSM but most sites were up. Down completely this morning! Ugh! I don't know how much more of this my customers are going to be able to take.

Conquest Hosting
Nothing better to do.

Post by Conquest Hosting » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:29 pm

Cool Gary - I got mine enabled as well...soon as I saw the DSM <again!> could actually get in to the CP...turned it on, got connected, got my root pass - woohoo!