Broadband question

General public discussion.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

BBear
Hosting Superstar

Broadband question

Post by BBear » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:36 am

I have a new need to be mobile (well, more mobile). I have Internet access on my phone, but there are some things you just need to do on a laptop, and AT&T's Edge network is just too slow (when a sites logs you out due to inactivity, because you're waiting for the page to load, you know there's a problem).

For those of you with Broadband plans:

Who do you use?

Is this plan separate from your cell phone plan or do you use a different carrier for broadband access?

Is there anything out there that is less than $50 per month? (Like, closer to $20?)

Thanks in advance :)

m2
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by m2 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:10 am

I use Verizon on an unlimited data plan. Generally good but sometimes slow access (not as bad as you describe; it depends on signal strength.)

The device has it's own phone number so it's on my cell bill but not my cell plan.

About $60/mo.

m2

BBear
Hosting Superstar

Post by BBear » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:15 pm

Thank you m2 :)

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:32 pm

There are several people here (inland northwest where Verizon is king) that have desktops using Verizon wireless for high speed access. I'm pretty impressed with the speed and reliability when I've played with their computers.

One problem: if you want to hook up to a router for more than one computer to access, you'll have some challenges to overcome.

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

sidekick

Post by Sapphyre » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 pm

Are you talking acting on an occasional support ticket that comes in when trying to take the day off or are you talking extended road trip or working vacation where you will still need to do several hours of work per day?

Sidekicks had the best [read:cheapest] data plans compared to blackberries et al. I installed 'terminal' on my Hiptop - it's an SSH client, so along with email, browser, IM, I'm all set unless actually planning to work long periods (even with a QWERTY keyboard, it's gets cumbersome if doing a lot of typing.) or if I need to refer to files on laptop or need to use a specific program.

There has been a huge disappointment here from loyal Hiptop (aka Sidekick in Canada) users when Fido stopped selling it after Rogers bought Fido. The assumption is, of course, that Rogers would rather sell $$$ BlackBerry plans. I for one have stuck in there with them due to cost - $20/month unlimited data. I simply bought my replacement Hiptop on eBay. In the U.S. you are lucky enough to still have T-Mobile and SunCom selling the new Sidekicks with cheap data plans.

BBear
Hosting Superstar

Re: sidekick

Post by BBear » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:42 pm

Sapphyre wrote:Are you talking acting on an occasional support ticket that comes in when trying to take the day off or are you talking extended road trip or working vacation where you will still need to do several hours of work per day?

Actually I have a "project" and have less than 2 weeks to finish, so I have to be there every day. I have to be able to work my business and job while still getting the project done (the project is 45 minutes away). After the project is done racing season will have started, so then I'll only need the connection occasionally but right now it will be 8-10 hours every day.

Sidekicks had the best [read:cheapest] data plans compared to blackberries et al. I installed 'terminal' on my Hiptop - it's an SSH client, so along with email, browser, IM, I'm all set unless actually planning to work long periods (even with a QWERTY keyboard, it's gets cumbersome if doing a lot of typing.) or if I need to refer to files on laptop or need to use a specific program.

I have a terminal and mail etc on my phone, but the connection for data is really slow and I just can't function. Not to mention, the tiny web pages are a bit hard to maneuver if you have to start entering data and stuff. I just want to be able to get online using the laptop.

In the last day or two I've done some checking around and it seems any dataplan that will work around here is going to be $60, so I may have to buck up and just pick one that doesn't require a cell phone plan. I just can't find anything priced less so far.

Thank you all for your input, it has been very helpful!

BBear
Hosting Superstar

Post by BBear » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:03 am

Well, Friday night I got a Sprint dataplan with a USB thingy. WOW! I headed out for my project today and was thrilled when I got to test the connection. Out in the boonies and I had 5 out of 6 bars on the connectivity scale, and it was just about decent DSL speed. Sweet!

mbodamer
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by mbodamer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:33 am

I attended the Consumer Electronic Show in Vegas this past January as I do every year.... Netgear had a new device, not yet available but will be shortly... basically it is a wireless router that has a cellular backbone. So it would work with your carrier such as AT&T and it would get a signal from them and then create a wifi hotspot wherever you go.

Looked very promising... only problem i saw however was it would be carrier specific, so you couldnt just get a SIM card for it and pop it in, if you go the router from AT&T you are stuck with them.
Mike

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Post by Sapphyre » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Wah!
*sob*
Rogers Fido has just announced the end of the hiptop unlimited data option. Apparently it has to due with the expiry of their contract with Danger, since they discontinued the phones themselves a couple years ago now. I kind of figured it would happen eventually. Essentially access to Danger servers will stop end of April, sp then I'll only have usual Rogers email and text messaging and phone. Everything else will be dead.

boo hoo
Looks like I'll have to move to a BB? Unless the rumour about Danger's next Sidekick being a 3G is true AND the upcoming Globalive carrier gets it. They are still several months from launch though!