No more refunds on fraud domain orders

General public discussion.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

Arf
Official Test Penquin

No more refunds on fraud domain orders

Post by Arf » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:24 am

ICANN (our friends who care so much) will no longer allow domain name grace periods after April 1, 2009. Therefore, registrars (including enom.com for sure) will no longer offer refunds EVEN if the domain reg. is fraud. You buy it, you own it. Yay, thank you ICANN.

Charlie
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by Charlie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:21 pm

Fraudulent orders are very small in comparison with the number of good registrations any legitimate registrar has. The new grace period provisions of all registries stilll allows using the grace period to cancel and get a refund however it will effectively terminate the domain "tasting" business.

It is a good policy that has been long overdue. Enom should be able to continue to offer refunds for legitimate delete requests during the grace period.

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:13 am

Charlie wrote:Enom should be able to continue to offer refunds for legitimate delete requests during the grace period.

According to a note written directly from them, no refunds for any reason after April 1st.

theunknownhost
Official Test Penquin

Post by theunknownhost » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:52 am

I like the idea. It will stop people like netsol from temporarily registering domains to place them on hold so you have to buy them from them. Now they have to keep the domain for a full-year instead of just terminating it after a few days and requesting a refund.

However, this is going to increase costs for registrars and I wonder how long it will take for them to raise their prices in response to this change.

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:21 pm

theunknownhost wrote:However, this is going to increase costs for registrars and I wonder how long it will take for them to raise their prices in response to this change.

I can see how it will increase my costs due to fraud, but I don't see how it will increase the costs of the registrars. Hmmm, Maybe because I'm the reseller and companies like GoDaddy will be hurt by it more because they're the ones getting defauded. Do you really think they will not get a refund or will they simply not pass the refunds on to us? I can't imagine Netsol, GoDaddy and other large registrars agreeing to not getting refunds for themselves.

theunknownhost
Official Test Penquin

Post by theunknownhost » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:26 pm

I don't think they have a say :) I don't think they'll get refunds. I think this "no refund" policy is meant to stop them from 1-2 week registrations and then terminating them. If they say it's ok for fraud refunds then the registrars will simply say all cancellations within 1-2 weeks are related to fraud. This will hopefully close this loophole.

For us we check every single order. However, large registrars like godaddy don't call every new registration and I think they rely heavily on the fact that they could receive a refund. Now they'll have to increase fraud monitoring and they'll lose out from the reveneus generated from their temp domain registrations.

Charlie
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by Charlie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:06 pm

The refund during the 5 days grace period is still available and is so generous that will not affect a registrar business. Here is a link to the details:

http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agp-policy-17dec08-en.htm

As you can see a refund to the registrar willl be available up to the greater of either:

* 50 domain names, or
* 10% of net new adds for the previous month

You are right that eNom has stopped the refunds. Have you contacted your account manager to get a straight answer?

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:44 pm

Charlie wrote:You are right that eNom has stopped the refunds. Have you contacted your account manager to get a straight answer?

I just wrote enom a very clear message on how I feel if they don't offer refunds.

Here is their policy:
Is there a grace period to delete new registrations and receive a refund?
Answer
No - there is not a grace period for refunds on new registrations. Effective April 1, 2009, ICANN will be implementing the new Add/Delete Grace Period policy. Likewise, we do not offer refunds on domains after registration is complete. All sales are final (as stated on the shopping cart and per our registration agreement). Please verify spelling and number of years to be registered before submitting all orders.

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:51 am

Clarification from Enom

Hello,

Unfortunately, we no longer offer this service. As a result of ICANN's new Add/Delete policy, we do not provide refunds nor do we delete active domains.

As there is no grace period for a refund, all sales are final, regardless of reason. Please verify spelling and number of years on new registrations once in the cart and again on the next page prior to purchase. This can help avoid unwanted domain registrations.

If you should need additional help in the future, please open a new ticket and our support staff will be able to assist you.

Thank you for working with us.

Andre
Technical Support Team

In other words I'll translate: we're don't care.

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:22 pm

Charlie,
In further communications with Enom, they indicate that ICANN Is not allowing grace period for refunds. That ICANN is the problem. Do you agree?

Charlie
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by Charlie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Arf,

What do you think?

http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agp-policy-17dec08-en.htm

If a registrar register 1000 new dot-com in March, it will be able to delete up to 100 dot-com in April and it will get a full refund from the registry($6.86) and also the Icann fee(20cent)

Some registrars such as Tucows charge a $1 fee as the administration fee (or maybe to discourage domain tasting by their resellers.)once you request a delete.

Charlie
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by Charlie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:54 pm

I should add that having a refund policy to the end user is completely optional and up to the registrar.