This is so uncomforting

General public discussion.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

Arf
Official Test Penquin

This is so uncomforting

Post by Arf » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:51 pm

If you trust the government to look out for your best interests, this is great. If not, you may find that there's a lot of political power given to the government in the name of security.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10320096-38.html

My concern is not that it would be abused. That to me is a given. It's how it would effect my livelihood if I don't play along.

theunknownhost
Official Test Penquin

Post by theunknownhost » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:44 pm

I find that if you work with them when they contact you it goes smoothly. I actually had a call this morning from a special agent with a gov't department requesting that we preserve the data for a site on one of our servers. We backed everything up and placed it in a secure location. I'm sure we'll receive the subpoena next week and I'll easily hand it over without notifying the client. My advice - work with the gov't, don't refuse to provide them the required information, and never ignore their requests, calls, emails, etc... If you do they'll shutdown your server and have it trucked to their location :) Must have been where Navisite got their migration plan from.

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:39 pm

My comment isn't about cooperating with the government. I have in the past and will continue to do so. It's about moving the power base of the overall internet in the U.S. to Washington.

theunknownhost
Official Test Penquin

Post by theunknownhost » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:15 pm

I know - just funny to see this not even 5 minutes after getting a call from big brother :)

Personally - I think the entire internet should be regulated. Everyone should have to have some sort of online id, dedicated IP, and they should be held accountable for their actions. Countries that don't enforce it - we should setup a inter-galactic :) firewall and ban them from accessing our servers and people in the US from connecting to their networks.

I for one am tired of hackers and spammers hiding behind the cloak of darkness that we call freedom of speech.

m2
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by m2 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:55 pm

theunknownhost wrote:Everyone should have to have some sort of online id, dedicated IP,
IPv24?

theunknownhost
Official Test Penquin

Post by theunknownhost » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:40 am

or 32 :) both sound good.