Migration day

General public discussion.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Migration day

Post by Arf » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:58 am

I hired Reliable Penguin to migrate about 120 accounts from a Plesk server to a cPanel server at LW. What a day! I don't think it could have gone smoother. It wasn't without problems but Ben at Reliable jumped in at every turn to fix the issue or guide me in finding the quickest solution. Credit also goes to the former host who has patiently helped me with a thousand questions as well as being there all day. I couldn't have done it without their help.

After 12 hours of adrenaline things settled down.

I'd recommend Reliable Penguin to anyone who wants to do a migration.

theunknownhost
Official Test Penquin

Post by theunknownhost » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:12 am

Congrats on the smooth transition. I can't say enough about Reliable Penguin either. Ben - simply put he's AWESOME! I've used him for 4 migrations and every one of them was smooth. He's also helped us on a number of server administration emergencies and his knowledge of Linux, Unix, every panel, and Sun OS is amazing.

We're currently working on another migration with them to migrate all of our hsphere linux customers to cpanel. I'm confident that we'll have another flawless victory. My goal over the last 6 months has been to consolidate in an effort to streamline our business. We're also trying to simplify things in preparation for our exit strategy. With their help we've gone from:
Cpanel, whmcs, modernbill, hsphere, helm, DSM

To Cpanel, whmcs, and hsphere. Over the next 6 months we'll have it limited to:
Cpanel/WHMCS
Hspere for Windows

Eventually I would like to get things streamlined even more by using:
Cpanel/WHMCS
Enkompass/WHMCS

For anyone that hasn't heard - Cpanel is launching an awesome windows platform called Enkompass. We were able to test drive it at Hosting Con and it's basically Cpanel/WHM for Windows. It looks almost identical to cpanel/whm.

nigel
Nothing better to do.

Post by nigel » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:00 pm

My three Navisite servers have such old software on them and the DSM isn't getting much done to it now, so I think I'm going to get plain boxes and setup cPanel / WHMCS very soon.

I was thinking of using Hostworks to do it but Ben sounds awesome.

What does everyone here think?

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:12 pm

No migration is without it's challenges and headaches. Ben did a stellar job, but that didn't mean that I wasn't putting out fires for the next 16 hours the first day and 12 hours the next. 99% of the the problems had little or nothing to do with Ben's work. A majority of items were related to email, the fact that some ISPs mail servers never get updated to point to new servers, some Outlook clients weren't restarted, and some clients still haven't repointed their domains to the new name servers.

It's been a week now and things have dramatically settled down with 3 tickets logged from the new clients.

I don't think it could have gone any better. I haven't lost even one client and haven't been threatened by any either. They were all very gracious.

I "think" hostworks would do a fine job. But I don't know their track record as well as Reliable Penguin. Nobody here has mentioned having them do their migration that I can recall.

m2
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by m2 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:45 am

nigel wrote:My three Navisite servers have such old software on them and the DSM isn't getting much done to it now, so I think I'm going to get plain boxes and setup cPanel / WHMCS very soon.

I was thinking of using Hostworks to do it but Ben sounds awesome.

What does everyone here think?
Ben handled my migration from Ala to Plesk. He took care of a lot of things that hadn't occurred to me like setting up symlinks so old dir structures worked, modifying scripts (besides the typical php/mysql db changes), all sorts of things outside of the scope of moving files and syncing mailboxes. He's a real pro.

m2