Domains CAN be transferred AFTER expiration

General public discussion.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Domains CAN be transferred AFTER expiration

Post by Arf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Just got off phone with Enom. According to them, ICANN allows domains to be transferred up to 29 days after they've expired. The registrar must provide auth codes during this period.

I never knew this. Did anyone else?

theunknownhost
Official Test Penquin

Post by theunknownhost » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Must be new. The policy in the past has ALWAYS been that an expired domain has to first be renewed through the current registrar. That's still our policy if it's registered through us :) I'll pretend I never read this article :wink:

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:34 pm

Unknown, yeah it was news to me. But read on for how I learned this.

Client hasn't paid for domain and it expires. They called Enom directly and complained that we weren't responding to their requests. In our defense, we were waiting to get paid and communicated this to the client 12 hours prior to them calling enom. Enom then sets them up with their own account, and pushes the domain to that account. Essentially undermining us but they have the loop hole that says that they can do this if the client requests it within 29 days because it's like a transfer. I agree but it was still painful.

Charlie
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by Charlie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Ask them if it is possible to transfer the domains how come the functionality of sending Auth-code is not available online when the domain expires?

A lot of things that eNom does are in the grey area, unethical and simply wrong and evil.

With the new Google panda policy eNom is going to a have a hard time profiting from "spamming" the internet with their low quality content generation scheme.

ICANN policy in regards to the registrar transfers is clear in that the transfer should be allowed however a number of registrars including eNOM have found all kinds of loopholes. The policy is here:

http://www.icann.org/en/transfers/policy-12jul04.htm

I should also add that due to the volume of complaints, an ICANN working group has finalized a document which will be approved by the board very soon. This will effectivly provide much more protection for the registrants and outlaws some of the very unethical business practices of certain registrars.

http://gnso.icann.org/issues/post-expir ... 5dec08.pdf

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Post by Sapphyre » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Tucows has always let transfer-aways happen after expiry.

As I understand, a domain is actually automatically renewed and charged to the registrar upon expiry. The registrar then has a 45 day "grace period" during which they may release the domain and be credited back the fee.

The different registrars have different policies as to when they release a domain - some release it immediately, some hold onto it longer allowing more time for late renewals (Tucows does 40 days). Once/if released, some of the gTLD (and .ca now) go into "redemption" (ICANN imposes a fee to the registrar, CIRA does not; and each registrar is free to charge the end-user more for a renewal during redemption)

Back to "The different registrars have different policies as to when they release a domain" ... some registrars have it in their agreements that if you do not renew prior to expiry or within X days after expiry, you no longer own the domain. So regardless of ICANN's stance, a registrar can simply change ownership at expiry (because you agreed to that) and keep the domain to do as they wish. They do not have to honor transfers after expiry or late renewals to the original domain holder if said domain holder agreed. They do not have to absolutely release any domain back to the registry for redemption. Tucows releases those gTLD at 40 days *IF* they decided not to keep it for link-farm or auction. Interesting to note that while Tucows no longer shares their income from expired domain link-farm pages, they do share a portion of the auction proceeds.

(I believe that .ca release however is mandatory. No ownership change can take place - it must go to redemption if not renewed by original domain holder, then will be released by the registry ~ 30 days later - registrar not allowed to have such clauses).

The registrars that really suck release it within a few days. Good luck to the end-user who may be on vacation and not notice until it's too late and will need to pay a redemption fee $$$. The nicer registrars keep them to allow late renewal at the usual rate :)
Last edited by Sapphyre on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Post by Sapphyre » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Charlie wrote:I should also add that due to the volume of complaints, an ICANN working group has finalized a document which will be approved by the board very soon. This will effectivly provide much more protection for the registrants and outlaws some of the very unethical business practices of certain registrars.
cheer cheer!

The important thing will be educating the public to ensure that the domain is actually registered to them. They have to learn to differentiate between a privacy feature in the WHOIS vs having the domain actually registered to the registrar or third party instead of themselves. I think the registrant's real name should always be public. Hiding the email and contact info is fine, but there needs to be a way for the registrant to ensure it's in their name via some authoritative query.

mbodamer
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by mbodamer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Arf wrote:Enom then sets them up with their own account, and pushes the domain to that account.
So I assume enom charged them the Fee to create their own account right? what is it $250? HAHA I'm sure they overlooked that.
Mike

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:45 am

mbodamer wrote:
Arf wrote:Enom then sets them up with their own account, and pushes the domain to that account.
So I assume enom charged them the Fee to create their own account right? what is it $250? HAHA I'm sure they overlooked that.
Now I'm angry. You're right. Hey if you want a full blown FREE enom account, sign up with me and then complain I'm not responsive.

mbodamer
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by mbodamer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:59 am

They probably got your tier pricing too! :-)
Mike

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:05 pm

mbodamer wrote:They probably got your tier pricing too! :-)
Now you're just harassing me. LOL

Jerry
Propeller head licensee

domain transfer past exp. date

Post by Jerry » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:53 pm

We have run into this also. The only condition for this would work if the email address is correct on the registration. If not correct they cannot transfer.