quietude

General public discussion.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

quietude

Post by Sapphyre » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:46 pm

it's creepy here, like a ghost town. I miss the bustle and all the helpful voices from the good ole days. :(
It's a crested auklet

Arizona
Nothing better to do.

Re: quietude

Post by Arizona » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:16 pm

I check in every now in then :) I moved to LW in 2011 but were Alabanza / Navi since 1999. Still good to see some small hosts making it out there.

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:56 pm

Of course, I'm still here. Alahosts may have run it's course. I still have one server at Navisite (or whomever they are today). I should move those clients to LW. Just hate that headache.

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Post by Sapphyre » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:07 pm

bbbbut there are other topic boards here.
Where is everyone then?
I find SOME users at CPanel forums sometimes a bit too snarky / unhelpful / rude with replies.
I miss the camraderie we had back in the day!
It's a crested auklet

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:26 am

Sapphire, I totally understand and agree. What we did with Alahosts was break down many of the "competitors are evil" walls and just laid it out for all to see. Sadly, the cPanel communities don't fully understand that there really is enough business to go around and helping others is not a zero sum gain. I've helped a lot of hosts and have gotten great returns for the investment in others. So much has happened in the last 15 years hasn't it. We've come a long way and I now I still have at least 15 years to go.

I've written a LOT of scripts for cpanel administration, migration and security. I just don't know where to share them. Maybe a blog. Maybe we need to try again and find some humble hosts who aren't afraid to admit that they don't know it all and that they need help. Alabanza was a specific niche. cPanel is the big boy on the block.

I'm open to ideas. What do you have on the Alabanza platform? If nothing, the maybe it's simply time to kill "alahosts.com" and start something new? All it takes is a few. I know bbear is still around and has cpanel servers because I have her host one of my sites.

I'm open to a new small cpanel community. I guess we'd need to learn how to find those who will give as much as they take.
Thomas

newcanada
Hosting Superstar

Post by newcanada » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:25 pm

Sapphyre wrote:I find SOME users at CPanel forums sometimes a bit too snarky / unhelpful / rude with replies.
Ditto.

I check in here once every 2-3 months to see what's going on. One of the things I like about this forum is the privacy of what we talk about, and that we share good ideas agreed that we're not stepping on each others' turf. :)

newcanada
Hosting Superstar

Post by newcanada » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:28 pm

Arf wrote:I'm open to ideas. What do you have on the Alabanza platform? If nothing, the maybe it's simply time to kill "alahosts.com" and start something new? All it takes is a few. I know bbear is still around and has cpanel servers because I have her host one of my sites.

I'm open to a new small cpanel community. I guess we'd need to learn how to find those who will give as much as they take.
Thomas
I'm in for that, so long as there's some privacy aspect to it; not publicly shown but at the same time I'm more open about my company and who I am. I was a bit rough when I started off here many years ago.

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:58 pm

Someone needs to verify people as best as he/she can. Someone has to lead. Beyond that, as long as folks behave it works. I've laid out who I am, what my companies are, where I live, how many clients I have, given away software and code, laid it all out and I haven't regretted it once. If you're going to help, if you're going to lead, you need to be ready to do the same and contribute where and when you can.

newcanada
Hosting Superstar

Post by newcanada » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:13 pm

You did want to move these forums to a specific server any way right? Maybe upgrade the forum software while doing so..

And I'm okay saying who I am and what company I own.. by the way, I'm Alex, and I live in Vancouver.
I've run a forum before and it was a mess and I've always referenced this forum for one that works well.

I can help out for say 10mins avg/ day to help verify new members.

ps. I'm usually on http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:54 am

Excellent. Thanks Alex.
You did want to move these forums to a specific server any way right? Maybe upgrade the forum software while doing so..
Not sure what you have in mind. The server's mine and the software's up to date.