NEW NIGHTMARE

General public discussion.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

Arf
Official Test Penquin

NEW NIGHTMARE

Post by Arf » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:35 pm

I bought a host in Feb. They had their servers at a big data center. All seemed good. Turns out the company providing the servers are just renting cage space for their server because they are located 1000 miles away. That's all fine until something goes bad. And this week something went terribly bad.

Server load was always higher than I'm used to. I finally figured out that one of the RAID 10 drives was bad. Turns out, it had been bad for well over a month and the company never checked it. The server began to crash for some reason every 12 hours or so. The the company providing the servers pinging service would notify them a30-minutes later. I'd already be contacting them, they in turn have to contact the data center to have the server hooked up to a keyboard/monitor and rebooted. This process can take 4 hours. The company is trying to fix the problem, checking memory, changing out drives, but nothing helps. I don't think it's the drives or RAM but a motherboard issue. On Friday at 3:00 a.m. I gave up trying and am just praying that the server will stay alive for another few days.

Attempts to back up the server crashed it within 15 minutes. None of the data is going to come off of that server. Thankfully I have an off network backup of everything that's 5 days old. And partial backups that are 2 and 3 days old.

I contacted LW on friday, generated a server, and requested an emergency migration. It's saturday and 50% of the accounts are restored on the new server. If all goes well, we'll go live some time on Sunday with the new server. While I'm waiting, I thought I'd write this.

For those who remember Alabanza's migration, I'm experiencing that same level of stress, that same physical pain in my gut, lack of sleep, no appetite, etc. Even though I've been here before and I know how it ends (good), I can't shake the horrible emotional and physic tole that this takes. I know folks here would understand.
~Thomas

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Re: NEW NIGHTMARE

Post by Sapphyre » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:50 pm

So sorry you are going through this!
Positive vibes for a quick and clean resolution.
It's a crested auklet

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:52 pm

It's Monday and in 10 minutes we're going to repoint the DNS to the new server. Can't wait to be off that old wreck and away from that kind of service. They just could not provide the standard of service a real hosting environment requires. I guess that's not their business even though they say it is.
Thomas

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:02 am

Migration of 230 accounts and about 400 websites from off site account backups to a bare metal server in 4 days. Only Liquid Web could do this. They performed flawlessly.

Thomas

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Post by Sapphyre » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:59 pm

Good to hear ... clap clap clap
Phew for you :)
It's a crested auklet