Survey: Add disk space for a limited time

If you have a program or script that you'd like to give away or sell, this is the place to do it. All offers should include contact info.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Survey: Add disk space for a limited time

Post by Arf » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Platform: cPanel
If your experience is like mine, you have several clients per week that go over their quota because they aren't clearing off email. What we do is add X MBs of disk space and create an invoice and if they don't clear things off by the next billing cycle, we leave the invoice. This is a pain.

What do you do?

What I am thinking of doing: I could write a script that adds X MBs of disk space to the account for a set period of time (say 10 days). Then if they are below the original quota when the time is up, it sets the quota back. If they are not below quota, it records the date time and disk usage and emails me a notice to add the extra disk space to the account and bill the client.

Would this be a good script to have? Would you use it?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

mbodamer
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by mbodamer » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:36 pm

So are you saying the first 10 days is a "free" buffer? and if they go back down within that period no charge?

What happens if they go above it, then go below it before 10 days, and then go above it again, an then go below it again.... they would in effect have free use of extra storage so long as they went back below before the 10 days are up. And if you send them a notice each time they go over and you bump them up, they know to make it go back down before the 10 days is up.
Mike

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:05 am

If they had the kind of control and discipline you're describing they'd never be over quota in the first place. However, these are people who don't clear out their email boxes and don't even know how to check their quota.

We're currently doing this manually. And there are a few who abuse it but the amount is insignificant. Also, we add the grace disk space manually so they're not getting it automatically. We're also talking about enough disk space to get webmail working. Not a lot. Not worth them gaming the system.

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Post by Sapphyre » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Useful :)

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:37 pm

Also useful is that the /var/log/pop3d.log contains user name, IP address and domain name. Maybe it always did, I don't recall.

newcanada
Hosting Superstar

Post by newcanada » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:58 am

This is a constant pain too, but not for me, only for the client.

I tell my clients all the time, "you gotta keep on top of your disk space usage" and once in awhile I'll alert a client out of kindness, or simply to upsell them. If a client runs into a problem accessing webmail, I tell them that frustration is on them; their responsibility. I will, depending on how good the client is, upgrade them for a day while they reduce their disk space, and if they don't value that courtesy, I don't do it again.

Usually my clients will upgrade to avoid the frustration.

nigel
Nothing better to do.

Post by nigel » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:01 pm

I've just have configserver install all their scripts on to my server because I had some infected sites and spam being sent from the server. It costs $125 per server but easily worth it.

The mail queue system is very cool and makes managing problems a lot easier.

There is also a mail management feature where you can easily list all the email accounts with a lot of emails (over a certain size). I know you can do this from the command line but having the gui just makes it easier.

The exploit finder is great which is a good addition to all the other root hunter scripts that I run now.

Spam was increasing slowly but with the spam setup now, it's basically zero. Customers were starting to complain.

I've had CSF running for a while now which is a fantasti tool. I am sure that you all agree.

Instead of making new scripts, I recommend using ConfigServer's scripts.