Enom ICANN letter reader

If you have a program or script that you'd like to give away or sell, this is the place to do it. All offers should include contact info.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Enom ICANN letter reader

Post by Arf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:10 pm

As you know, ICANN requires Admin Contacts to review the contact info on all domains once per year. Some hosts put their own email address on all their client's domains because their clients want them to manage the domains. The result, for me at least, is hundreds of these ICANN letters coming from enom and a lot of wasted time click the email, viewing the info in my browser and then going back to email for the next.

Solution: I wrote a script that reads the letter (thus satisfying the requirement) using wget and then generates an index of all the emails received that I can view later or not at all. The nice thing is that cPanel provides all the tools needed to pipe the email into my program.

Is there any Interest in automating the process by anyone here?

The program is in alpha testing but I wanted to know if anyone else was interested in it when it comes out. (FREE)

nigel
Nothing better to do.

Post by nigel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:14 am

I didn't know that the email had to be read. I just delete them as soon as I see them. It's also very confusing to non-savvy customers who don't know who ICANN is

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:32 pm

If you look at the source code of the email, there's a hidden field that seems to indicate if it's been read. However, I don't think they're enforcing it.

newcanada
Hosting Superstar

Post by newcanada » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:30 am

nigel wrote:I didn't know that the email had to be read. I just delete them as soon as I see them. It's also very confusing to non-savvy customers who don't know who ICANN is
Ditto. In fact, I have it in my policy that we may list our email address as the admin contact to weed out this and confusing emails from domain poachers. Not sure it's allowed, but it does alleviate a lot of confusion and concern. I would say that 80% of my clients don't know what ICANN is.

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Post by Sapphyre » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:02 pm

As far as I know, the registrar needs to advise domain holder once a year that they have a responsibility to keep their contact info up to date and offer them the opportunity to do so. I don't think ICANN verifies whether client actually did anything? But I do suspect that registrar needs to show ICANN what procedure is in place to take care of this reminder.

FYI Tucows includes the current contact info in the email message :) Customer only needs to visit website if they want to change anything. It's sent in plain text, so there's no way to know if customer actually read it.

Question is now what does Enom do if it's not read? Do they follow up with further reminders? Wonder if they record the IP that "reads" it ? Can they tell that you're not forwarding to your clients?

theunknownhost
Official Test Penquin

Post by theunknownhost » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 am

I don't think so - we use enom and I've always just deleted the notices without opening/reading them. Plus all the domains are on auto renew. You won't hear anything from Enom unless you let it expire or someone files a claim that you have invalid contact information on file.

If someone files a claim they'll contact you to verify the information. If they can't reach you the domain is subject to deletion.

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:25 am

SO I'VE BEEN CLICKING THOSE STUPID EMAILS FOR YEARS FOR NO REASON!!! AAAHHHHHHH~