Add Sub Domain - 95% automated

If you have a program or script that you'd like to give away or sell, this is the place to do it. All offers should include contact info.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

crashdump
Hard Drive Crasher

Add Sub Domain - 95% automated

Post by crashdump » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:28 pm

Hello,

I have a add subdomain utility specific to the Alabanza environment and I'm looking for 1 tester before I determine if its ready to distribute to other hosts.

A couple of notes:
  1. I could not figure out how to make it 100% automated while maintaining security, so its a two step process
  2. you must be comfortable shelling to your box and gaining root access.
  3. requires you to setup a hosting account (no cp needed) to be used as the master subdomain repository/redirector
  4. subdomains created can only point to a directory under the issuing account not a specific file. Not capable of pointing to another server or domain.
  5. includes removal script, however sub domain removal currently cannot be issued via the end user's cp. host will have to process removal via command-line script.

Once everything is setup, the process is intiated by the enduser through the CP. host receives email including exact command to issue as root.

If you are interested in testing, please PM me.
Last edited by crashdump on Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crashdump
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by crashdump » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:12 pm

Tester has been chosen. Will update this tread shortly when ready for release.

spiderweave
Nothing better to do.

Tester

Post by spiderweave » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:14 pm

If you need another tester let me know we are interested.

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:11 pm

Oh shucks, I missed it. Anyway, for your info, Alabanza has given hints of rolling out a subdomain script in the future. Still just a rumor. Don't believe it until you see it.

crashdump
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by crashdump » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:46 pm

I figured they would...but I didin't feel like waiting :lol:

alsmith
Nothing better to do.

Post by alsmith » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:44 am

hostspring

When do you plan to release the script?
-Al

http://alademos.com - Ala-Demos - Flash tutorials for Control Panels

crashdump
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by crashdump » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:49 am

this weekend sometime

gvard
Nothing better to do.

Post by gvard » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:38 pm

hostspring wrote:this weekend sometime

Well, I'm looking forward to see it in action :)

crashdump
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by crashdump » Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:17 pm

The script is now available for $25. Contact me via alahosts.com for purchase instructions. We're charging a $10 setup fee for Sub Domains and sold 10 the same day we added the option to the Control Panel.

Special thanks to Al Smith for testing and writing installation routine.

Screenshot of CP interface can be seen at http://208.56.243.214/screenshot.gif

readme.txt follows:

In order to successfully install this program, you must first understand how it works. For starters, the application must be installed on the server housing your primary name servers (most likely the first server purchased from Alabanza). Before you begin the installation, you must first setup a new domain via the DSM to service aLL Sub Domain requests. Each and every Sub Domain that you setup will actually be pointing to the IP Address of the new domain that you setup.

For example: your hosting company is alabanzahosting.com. Your email is support@alabanzahosting.com. You setup a domain to handle Sub Domain requests called subdomain-processor.com (you don't have to own the domain name).

Installation proceedure (Bad things will happen if this readme is not followed exactly. Ask for help if you have any questions!):
  1. put archive on Primary NS Server and extract (tar xvf subscript.tar)
  2. you will see three files: install.sh, redirect.tar.gz, subdomain.tar.gz
  3. edit (vi) install.sh and change the top three variables to match your environment. These variables are:
    * domain - The domain name of the account you setup to processes Sub Domain requests. In the example above, you would change value to subdomain-processor.com
    * myemail - Where you want Sub Domain installation requests sent to. YOU MUST ENTER EXACTLY AS SHOWN IN INSTALL.SH. In the example above, you would change value to support\\@alabanzahosting.com.
    * mydomain - The domain name of your hosting company. In the example above, you would change to alabanzahosting.com.
  4. adjust permissions of install.sh: chmod 755 install.sh
  5. run it: ./install.sh
  6. Now go to DSM and setup a new Custom Tool called 'Add Sub Domain'. The tool url should be: /cp/subdomain/index.pl

That completes a basic single-server install. If you have more than one server, then on each additional (non primary NS server), create a directory called subdomain in /home/httpd/cp. Copy index.pl and request.pl from /home/httpd/cp/subdomain from your master server into this directory. Make sure they are owned by root: chown root.root /home/httpd/cp/subdomain/*.pl. Make sure they are executable: chmod 755 /home/httpd/cp/subdomain/*.pl

Free install is available if needed. contact hostspring via alahosts.com if you need help.
Last edited by crashdump on Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

alsmith
Nothing better to do.

Post by alsmith » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:06 pm

hostspring,
This is going to be a great addition to offers we can make on the servers. The process works great and best of all it is available now.

Thanks for the great job.
-Al

http://alademos.com - Ala-Demos - Flash tutorials for Control Panels

gvard
Nothing better to do.

Post by gvard » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:14 pm

Guys, I've just installed and tested this script on my server. IT ROCKS! :))

Bill, is there any way to do the following:

In the e-mail that is being sent to me, there'll be a link which will show the commit.pl file in the website we've setup for subdomains, include in the link something like "http://website/commit.pl&domain=target.ext&dir=dir&cloak=yes", so we can click in this link and have the script get the variables and automatically create the subdirectories (commit.pl will be password-protected so no-one can run it except ourselves).

Also a page which will show the users their active subdomains and let him delete them. Also, a subdomain limit according to his plan :) )

crashdump
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by crashdump » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:20 pm

George,

I could not figure out how to invoke the commit.pl script via a browser while still maintaining a high level of security...so my short answer is no. If someone knows how this is done, then yes...that would be a simple change to make and I'd be glad to make it. The script is touching system files as well as refreshing services.

I don't think I could easily limit the number of subdomains based on plan id since I don't have access to ala database. Showing the user's the current subdomain's setup shouldn't be a problem. Allowing them to remove will be similiar to setup...they can initiate the request, and you would be emailed exact command to issue.

I'll work on this during the week.

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:40 am

hostspring wrote:George,

I could not figure out how to invoke the commit.pl script via a browser while still maintaining a high level of security...so my short answer is no. If someone knows how this is done, then yes...that would be a simple change to make and I'd be glad to make it.

I'd be willing to take a look at implimenting this if you wish. You'll need to send me the program AND if I use it, I'll buy it.

sixpackmx
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by sixpackmx » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:09 am

hostspring,

Is your solution based on index redirect? Or it's done by adding a Virtual Named Host at Apache config? Further discussion may be held on Private Area (for security reasons).

I have a little idea for limiting the number of sudomains per client. You could check the disk quota for the specific user and compare that to a previously configured file matching disk quota and assigned subdomains. (Oviously with the assumption that: a) You do not sell additional space blocks, b) Quota is not messed up).

The solution we have relies on a database with client data. This is done because we mantain a separate database with all the client info, as the DSM does not include certain information needed to bill the client in Mexico.

Best wishes,

sixpackmx

spiderweave
Nothing better to do.

Great Script

Post by spiderweave » Tue May 11, 2004 4:18 pm

This a great Script! It has not only opened up a new market for us since we have many times had to turn away the customer who wished to have subdomains. It already paid for itself the first day. It is easy to use and well worth the price!

Thanks hostspring!

pj50
Propeller head licensee

Subdomain

Post by pj50 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:12 am

Guys, I would really like to purchase this script, how can I get it for creating subdomains.

Thanks,
PJ
http://www.webnethosting.net

crashdump
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by crashdump » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:39 pm

It has become apparent that some time in the past couple of years, Alabanza stopped setting up new client's servers with the named service running. (I'm told that you have the option to purchase an additional dedicated server solely for running named)

For that reason (and others), I really don't feel like distributing this subdomain script anymore. For those who don't care whether or not I feel like distributing, I will make an exception if the following applies to you:

1. you know what named is
2. you are comfortable with ssh and running command line utilities
3. you understand the principles of DNS
4. you understand that Ala is working on their own subdomain utility