How is Authorize.net??

Get answers here.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

netbasiks
Hard Drive Crasher

How is Authorize.net??

Post by netbasiks » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:53 pm

Hi All,
We are currently with VeriSign and pay $59.95/month as gateway fees. We are thinking of moving to Authorize.net that charge only $20/month as Gateway fees (but give 500 free transactions/month as opposed to 1000 free with VeriSign).

Has anyone made such a move, and how does Authorize.net compare to VeriSign. We have been with VeriSign for around 6 years and have been pretty happy with them (other than the high gateway fees). Thanks.

Robby

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:54 pm

Robby,
My experience with Authnet has been good since I changed from VeriSign years ago. I never looked back.

crashdump
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by crashdump » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:29 pm

I agree with arf, though I don't think I realized the expected cost savings.

I like authorize.net better though. Plus, more third-party scripts seem to be setup to use authorize.net vs verisign.

m2
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by m2 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:16 pm

I've used A-net for 5-6 years and been satisfied with them (used Verisign prior to then). Their API lacks some features, e.g. can't create a recurring billing account, have to do it via the web interface (or so they've told me).

I was concerned when they were acquired by Lightbridge and I signed on wtih TrustCommerce (kept my A-net account, I use both). TC has faster transaction processing (I've load tested it; it's impressive) and a nice API. I don't think it's worth the extra expense though.

All-in-all I think A-net is good to very-good and you'll be happy with them.

m2

netbasiks
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by netbasiks » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:27 pm

Thanks for your replies. I guess i'll go ahead and make the switch to A.net.

Charlie
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by Charlie » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:59 am

netbasiks wrote:Thanks for your replies. I guess i'll go ahead and make the switch to A.net.

Let me add my 2 cents. We use both Verisign PFP and Authnet. As you mentioned my cost for Authnet is 30% less than Verisign but:

1-Overall Verisign product is a more robust product. On the client side it's more secure. On the servers side the responses are faster.
2-Verisign clients are larger businesses comparing to Authnet
3-Customer Service is definitely better.
4-The functionality and security features available in the Verisign interface is far better than Authnet. Such as IP access list, better reports. I also like one step refund and void option. With Authnet it's a 2 step work.
Also the ability to perfrom referenced transactions. You can perfrom a new sale or auth based on a previous auth or sale. You do not need to have the credit card number to do this.
(I amnot sure if this is possible with Authnet.) This comes handy since you can store the transaction IDs instead of the credit cards for future billing.
5-I should also mention that Authnet has been very unprofessional in handling the crisis they had a couple of years ago when they pushed a buggy code to their servers and broke a lot of ecommerce sites.

Just my experience ofcourse.

/C/