Enom vs. Tucow

Get answers here.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

flupke
Propeller head licensee

Enom vs. Tucow

Post by flupke » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:16 pm

Hello,

probably not the first time the question is asked here. I'm evaluating both and look for the following features, couldn't find clear answers on their website, may be you can help:

- I need a control panel access for my customer, unlike Bulkregister, I don't want to login in myself to register/renew/change a domain. Does one of this platform allows my user to register and login later with their username/password and make any change to their domains? (I want a ready-to-go application, they might have an API interface but I dont want to program the user interface. )

- can I use my favorite payment gateway through an API, so that my customers see my company charging them the amount and not enom or tucow?

- multilingual: being based in Europe, multi-lingual control panel is definitively a plus

Thanks for any feedback regarding both of them!

Thanks!

Flupke

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Re: Enom vs. Tucow

Post by Arf » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:27 pm

flupke wrote:...- I need a control panel access for my customer, unlike Bulkregister, I don't want to login in myself to register/renew/change a domain. Does one of this platform allows my user to register and login later with their username/password and make any change to their domains? (I want a ready-to-go application, they might have an API interface but I dont want to program the user interface. )
Enom's standard interface for resellers does allow your users their own access ot the domains. BUT if you're using that interface, you also need to have an external billing system such as the DSM charging them for renewals and such. I have this. I ALSO have one of Enom's PDQ accounts for clients that leave my hosting. I simply push their domain in the PDQ account and they get billed directly from Enom under my name. From that point forward, their enom's client although they can push their domain back to me if they ever return.

- can I use my favorite payment gateway through an API, so that my customers see my company charging them the amount and not enom or tucow?
see above.

- multilingual: being based in Europe, multi-lingual control panel is definitively a plus
No clue, sorry.

I don't use Tucows. I did try once but it seemed a bit of a pain at the time and I never tried again. I like enom's system. I've hated support because email support takes days. However, the other day I called (what a concept!) for the first time and I got help within minutes. I like Enom, haven't looked back. Also, my prices have gone down over the years because I've built up to 400+ domains. Now paying $6.95/dom.

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Post by Sapphyre » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:15 pm

Tucows does offer end-user interface scripts. Like Ala, you can have it set to process orders immediately or to save them as pending. You can integrate payment gateways in it, there are other RSPs who have built them and offer them to others. But Tucows has not built in the payment hook. Your customers never pay Tucows. You pre-purchase credit units from Tucows and you are responsible for collecting payment from your client. There is also a manage interface where customers can change their domain WHOIS, nameservers, and (if you allow it) to lock/unlock their domain themselves.

The order scripts you must install on your server to let customers place orders themselves OR their non-public QuickStart interface allows you to log in and place orders without having to install anything. The manage interface - you install the scripts on your server so you can customize the look OR use the pre-existing shared public interface they provide.

AFAIK, it's not multilingual, but most of the messaging is customizable. Where they do not allow you to edit texts is where they are obligated by the registries to provide specific verbiage in english.

Charlie
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by Charlie » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:22 am

I don't think you can compare these 2 registrars. Enom is effectively selling the domains at a loss but TUCOWS has a comfortable margin. (wholesale pricing of $6.95 vs $10.25) Also DNS manager is included in enom pricing but costs $3 extra at TUCOWS.
Enom has recently started desperately to make more money off of the domains (such as 29 days suspension, pop up banners(?), $160 redemption price, very high tld pricing, etc).

We have first hand experience with both at a large scale. Both are good like both USPS and UPS are!!

/C

flupke
Propeller head licensee

Post by flupke » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:25 pm

Thanks to all!

newcanada
Hosting Superstar

Post by newcanada » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:36 am

I setup Tucows two weeks ago; but I haven't figured out their test environment yet. Very tedious indeed! It takes a day to get a support response, and it's not great.

Question: I can't find this info on this website, can you tell me what it is?
Answer: That info is on our website. Here is the URL.

ARRGH!!

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Post by Sapphyre » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:52 pm

newcanada wrote:I setup Tucows two weeks ago; but I haven't figured out their test environment yet. Very tedious indeed! It takes a day to get a support response, and it's not great.

Question: I can't find this info on this website, can you tell me what it is?
Answer: That info is on our website. Here is the URL.

ARRGH!!

Odd. They're usually better than that with support responses. Do you have the correct support email address for RSPs? (PLEASE DO NOT MAKE IT PUBLIC) If so, do you know who your account manager is?