Check in/check out - file locking/sharing for Unix ?

Get answers here.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Check in/check out - file locking/sharing for Unix ?

Post by Sapphyre » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:47 pm

Anyone know of any file sharing program we can install for a customer? It needs to be able to prevent 2 users from simultaneously accessing/editing the same file.

Or if this is more 'intuitive' with Windows, does anyone here offer a package we can set up as a subdomain for a client?

m2
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by m2 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:09 pm

is this for HTML files? Dreamweaver has checkin/checkout capability

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Post by Sapphyre » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:35 pm

I'll check, it'd be most likely for a mix of file types, judging by what this client has done in the past - some html, but I expect mostly .xls, .doc, and some propietary extension DB files used for accounting software.

m2
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by m2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:48 pm

I use Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org/) for version control and Tortoise SVN (http://tortoisesvn.net/) for the windows interface (my repository lives on a linux server but my development systems are windows.)

Subversion includes a "strict locking" command. When a file is checked out with strict locking its readonly until it's checked in.

m2

Sapphyre
Official Test Penquin

Post by Sapphyre » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:53 pm

So hows does that work - you have to be strict on using these external programs only to access the files? I imagine you could still connect by FTP and grab a copy while someone else has it checked out?

What's the set up? Does everyone need to install a program on their computers? He need people to be able to access the files from various locations - they aren't all in the same office; it's files that both the client and one of his staff could be working on.

m2
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by m2 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:59 pm

The best way is for all users who have access to the files use Subversion for checkin/checkout (they don't need FTP to download/upload; Subversion will do that for them.)

I believe the file's permissions would also be changed to readonly but I don't know for sure; I don't use strict locking; don't need it with files that can be merged via source control (PHP, HTML, PERL, etc.)

The subversion server (where the repository lives) runs on a linux or windows server. Each system that needs access has the client installed. Subversion can run on a custom port, over an SSH tunnel or as an apache mod.