Theory: How to market domains that you're selling

Get answers here.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Theory: How to market domains that you're selling

Post by Arf » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:06 am

From time to time I get a hold of a domain that I'd like to sell. I toss them up on SEDO and hope for the best. I've had one domain there for 5 years. I think it's worth a lot. Over the years I've gotten no responses. Then I decided to "forward" the traffic to a very well known site that was topically similar to the domain. It's clear that the domain is forwarding, that it doesn't point to the site, no frames, advertising or tricks. Just forward. I even wrote to the site owner and told them what I was doing. No response from them.

In the last 6 months I've gotten two offers. One good, one really good. I'm not sure if I'm going to take the offers, but I can say that I'm probably going to try this with other domains.

Thought I'd share.

mbodamer
Hard Drive Crasher

Post by mbodamer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 am

thats interesting...

so your actually pushing traffic to the other site owner unsolicited.... and since the domain you have is high profile to that type of site it actually generates leads...

good tip will have to try.
Mike

Charlie
Hard Drive Crasher

Re: Theory: How to market domains that you're selling

Post by Charlie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:48 pm

Arf wrote:From time to time I get a hold of a domain that I'd like to sell. I toss them up on SEDO and hope for the best. I've had one domain there for 5 years. I think it's worth a lot. Over the years I've gotten no responses. Then I decided to "forward" the traffic to a very well known site that was topically similar to the domain. It's clear that the domain is forwarding, that it doesn't point to the site, no frames, advertising or tricks. Just forward. I even wrote to the site owner and told them what I was doing. No response from them.

In the last 6 months I've gotten two offers. One good, one really good. I'm not sure if I'm going to take the offers, but I can say that I'm probably going to try this with other domains.

Thought I'd share.

The only party having access to the stats(beside you) is the website owner and the competition would never think the domain is available for sale.

Are you implying that the offers that you received are coming from the actual website owner?

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:18 pm

No. The offer came from elsewhere but they may be connected to the owner but I don't think so.