How Did You Find Alahosts.com?

If you're new here, this is the first place to look.

Moderators: BBear, theunknownhost, flaguy

How did you find AlaHosts.com?

The Email Invitation
35%
Recommended by Alabanza
24%
Word of mouth
18%
Search Engine
10%
Other message boards
7%
Other (please state below)
6%

Total votes: 68

steve-at-swift
Propeller head licensee

Party

Post by steve-at-swift » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:38 pm

Thanks for the welcome;

I thought it had gone quiet, no wonder..I arrived and all the food and drink has gone already :(

Strangely enough I was surprised how little is on the web about Alabanza at all, its like its a big secret. I mean usually you can find loads of folks bad mouthing big companies just because they can.

When I first joined Alabanza I thought maybe I had been duped and it was a schoolboy in his bedroom with an old X86 on a dial up and my money in his sweetie jar :lol:

Steve
Don't be afraid to aim too high and fail
Be afraid you aim too low and succeed!

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Re: Party

Post by Arf » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:57 pm

steve-at-swift wrote:When I first joined Alabanza I thought maybe I had been duped and it was a schoolboy in his bedroom with an old X86 on a dial up and my money in his sweetie jar :lol:

Steve
You mean it's not??

By the way, there's still time to make it to the conference this year. Even if you have fly across the pond to get here. You will find that it's REALLY worth coming. You can see first hand that it's definately not a kid in his parent's house running the NOC. (all us hosts are though :D )

steve-at-swift
Propeller head licensee

Conference

Post by steve-at-swift » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:27 pm

I'd love to come but have been working on a big project for 2 years that is nearly done. I have 100 sites to launch before the end of the year. (It sounded easy when I started)

Next year I will be there, I love flying across that pond, USA is my favorire place :wink:
Don't be afraid to aim too high and fail
Be afraid you aim too low and succeed!

JohnBoyTheGreat
Professional Chicken Dancer

Post by JohnBoyTheGreat » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:32 am

Arf wrote:Hey M2,
Welcome to the neighborhood. I pretty much sent out an email to every client of Alabanza's support@domain.com address.

I hate to display my ignorance, but what do you mean by "to every client of Alabanza's support@domain.com address"???

Did you just send out e-mail to every domain name on Alabanza's servers that had a "support" e-mail box?!? (So how do you do something like that?) That was a pretty good idea back when I first got your e-mail, but today it would probably be considered spam. I have a better way of finding Alabanza hosts if you would like to private message me. (It's not perfect, but a tad bit better. Maybe you know it already.)

I've always wondered how those idiot spammers send to every freaking one of my e-mail boxes with generic names. There must be a list somewhere of popular box names...

JohnBoyTheGreat

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:53 pm

I only sent out a very few mailings and it was back in 2001 or so when many hosts used support@. I made sure they that were hosts and not resellers or end users and then fired it off using the mailing list program. With all the negativity about spamming (I would get about 2 complaints per mailing) I stopped sending those mailing out after the first year. At the time I didn't test to see if the emails were working but I got very few back because of the default rule used by Alabanza which allowed the message to still get thru.

bigman
Propeller head licensee

How I found alahosts

Post by bigman » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:22 am

ALA conference

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:25 am

Hi Bigman,
Finally we have someone with some authority around here. :)

ILSS

Referred by Ala's Tech Support

Post by ILSS » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:58 pm

I was referred by Ala's tech support people.

I'm very cut for time today but will get back in here soon to post info for those interested in Internet Payment Processing options outside the Ala network as well as some other items hopefully of interest to some.

This site was well thought out.
Hats off to Arf and his team.

Installed da-spaminater this morning and already the transfer rate issue has gone bye bye, as in a matter of 2 hours. Done.

Arf,
Thank you for taking the time to create such an excellent software to beat up on multiple IP Spammers.

To All Server Owners at Ala,
If you haven't done so already, I strongly suggest all server owners at Ala to install da-spaminator software Arf created immediately to ward off all types of dictionary attacks which will keep your server recources on full speed ahead!

BR10
Propeller head licensee

Hello all;

Post by BR10 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:17 pm

Guess I'm a newbie here though I been in here since about 2003 I think, via an email invitation. I think it was right after a big outage at ALA but I'm not sure.

Just wanted to say hi to all.

Hope to get in here more often now. Planning on getting more serious with the hosting part of my business model to generate more revenue from it since it's only been a part-time thing for special clients and friends.

Thanks;

Gary

PS: Someone mentioned being late to the party, hmmm guess I missed the whole party.
:-)

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:26 pm

Hi Gary,
Wow, 2003 was probably the last email I'd sent out. I got a lot of complaints about it being spam. Anyway, I'm glad you're hear. I/we look forward to getting to know you. If there's anything we can do to help, please ask the group.

Thanks for the intro.

newcanada
Hosting Superstar

Post by newcanada » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:31 pm

Hey Gary,

Welcome! I've been with Alabanza since 2003 too.

BR10
Propeller head licensee

Post by BR10 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:23 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

I've been with Ala since 1999. I actually had about 10 single domains with them before they became a hosting company for hosting companies. Then I got my dedicated box when they changed their business model.

Thanks;

Gary

jtmneal07
Propeller head licensee

Post by jtmneal07 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:31 pm

I have also been with Alabanza since late 1999 We also have cpanel servers but still keep the Alabanza ones too.

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:03 pm

jtmneal07, how did you find alahosts.com?

jtmneal07
Propeller head licensee

Post by jtmneal07 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:23 pm

I honestly can't recall I am sorry to say that I have visited many times but never registered before. I just decided it was finally time to join in.

HMPGON
Propeller head licensee

Post by HMPGON » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:17 am

I heard about it when I saw Charles *******'s (Navisite) email Tuesday morning.

Robert

(edited by Arf for privacy)

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Post by Arf » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:37 pm

Well, I'm glad you two found our little spot on the net. Welcome.

chipman
Alahosts.com-Newbie

Word of mouth

Post by chipman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:19 am

I was on one of the conference calls with the migrationa dn someone mentioned this board.

Chipman

Arf
Official Test Penquin

Re: Word of mouth

Post by Arf » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:40 pm

chipman wrote:I was on one of the conference calls with the migrationa dn someone mentioned this board.

Chipman

We've had quite a run of new folks coming here. I'm glad you found us. The more the merrier!